The Mountain-Valley Library System is pleased to present this selection of Spanish language sites gathered by Alvaro Sanabria for his InFoPeople workshop "Internet Services for the Spanish Speaker". This page is made available with the kind permission of the InFoPeople Project to help library staff assist their Spanish speaking patrons.
General Sites for Latin America, Spain and the U.S.
- CNN in Spanish - Latin America and the Caribbean - http://cnnenespanol.com/americas/
- This version of CNN includes news specifically from Latin America and the Caribbean. It has a subject directory and it is beginning to offer news services from different Latin American countries.
- MundoLatino.com - http://www.MundoLatino.com/
- This site can be accessed in English and Spanish. It contains multiple directories for Latin America and the United States.
- Quepasa - http://quepasa.com/
- This is a bilingual site based in Phoenix. It focuses mainly on the U.S. but it is beginning to target some Latin American countries. It offers free Internet access and e-mail services.
- YupiMSN.com - http://www.yupiMSN.com
- One of the major portal networks that provide the entire site in Spanish.
LULAC - League of United Latin American Citizens - http://www.lulac.org/With approximately 115,000 members throughout the United States and Puerto Rico, LULAC is the largest and oldest Hispanic Organization in the United States. LULAC advances the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, health and civil rights of Hispanic Americans through community-based programs operating at more than 600 LULAC councils nationwide. The organization involves and serves all Hispanic nationality groups.
NOAH (New York Online Access to Health) - http://www.noah-health.org NOAH is an information guide only and cannot answer personal health-related or research questions. NOAH's information has been culled from a variety of consumer health resources; it is offered to you with the understanding that it is not be interpreted as medical or professional advice.
PLUS: Public Libraries Using Spanish - http://www.sol-plus.net/plus/home.htm PLUS seeks to lend a hand by gathering useful, downloadable documents that can help you make your library a more welcoming place for Spanish-speakers. Card applications, brochures, policy statements, signage text, press releases and news articles--all in Spanish with a side-by-side English translation--will be collected here and are yours to use as you see fit. Examples:
Saludos - http://www.saludos.com/
Hispanic employment service promotes employment diversity and offers free resume postings to qualified bilingual professionals.
- Healthfinder - http://www.healthfinder.gov/espanol/
- This is a very good site maintained by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund - http://www.hsf.net
- The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF) is the largest Hispanic scholarship-granting organization in the nation. HSF recognizes and rewards outstanding Hispanic students in higher education throughout the United States and Puerto Rico. These students represent every region of the country, hundreds of institutions of higher learning and every segment of the Hispanic community. Founded in 1975, HSF has awarded more than 40,000 scholarships totaling nearly $47 million.
- Latin American Network Information Center - LANIC - http://lanic.utexas.edu/
- This is an excellent site hosted by the University of Texas Department of Latin American Studies. Search by the general topic or by using a search engine. It contains links to Spanish, English and bilingual sites.
- Learn the Net - http://www.learnthenet.com/spanish/index.html
- This is an excellent, up-to-date site to learn about the Internet in genera
English as a Second Language
- Dave's ESL Cafe - http://www.eslcafe.com/
- This is an excellent site for ESL students and teachers. It contains a well-organized subject oriented menu with many good links.
- English (Ohio ESL) - http://www.ohiou.edu/esl/english/index.html
- This is an excellent site for ESL students at different levels of English proficiency. It has a great selection of common topics used for writing and reading comprehension. Includes audio pronunciation help, so attach your speakers!
- Self-Study Quizzes for ESL Students - http://a4esl.org/q/h/
- This site has a very large collection of quizzes for ESL students. This is part of the Internet TESL journal's activities for ESL Students.
Newspapers and Media Resources
- onlinenewspapers.com - http://www.onlinenewspapers.com
- This site contains an extensive list of newspapers from all over the world.
- Newspapers in Latin America - LANIC- http://www.lanic.utexas.edu/la/region/news/
- This is a very good resource for newspapers and magazines from Latin America. It contains links to some Spanish and bilingual newspapers published in the United States. It also has links to other Latin American news related resources.
- Zona Latina Latin American Newspapers - http://www.zonalatina.com/Zlpapers.htm
- Contains a colossal list of newspapers and magazines from Latin America. This page contains Latin American research data from various primary data sources, including a number of major consumer surveys. These reports were prepared exclusively for Zona Latina.
- AltaVista - Search - http://www.altavista.com
- Altavista enables you to limit a search by language. A nice feature in Altavista is that Web sites can be translated using the URL information.
- Excite - http://www.excite.es/
- Excite has a subject directory and a search engine entirely in Spanish.
- Google's Spanish interface - http://www.google.com/intl/es/
- Google can be searched in many different languages.
- Yahoo! en espaÃ±ol - http://espanol.yahoo.com
- This is the Spanish version of Yahoo with a subject directory and a search engine.
- YupiMSN - http://www.yupiMSN.com/
- This is one of the largest Spanish search engines.
Free E-mail Services
- LatinMail - http://www.latinmail.com/
- Widely used free e-mail service similar to hotmail. Contains all information in Spanish.
- Spanish email address providers - http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_spanish.htm
- This site is dedicated to free e-mail services and other free resources all in Spanish.
This material was created by Alvaro Sanabria and provided through the InFoPeople Project at http://www.infopeople.org/, supported by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the
State Librarian. Any use of this material should credit the author and funding source.